X

Know the Facts: The Difference Between Whiskey, Bourbon and Scotch

March 27, 2018 | Posted in Boston, Chicago, Event Tips, Food and Drink, News, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle

So, you’ve gotten yourself an invite to one of Kapow’s infamous whiskey tastings, or was it a scotch tasting? Shoot, was it bourbon? You’ve heard it all before: all scotch is whiskey, but not all whiskey is scotch. But, what does that even mean? Don’t stress, given that it’s National Whiskey Day (March 27), we’ve decided to provide you with a short guide for understanding the difference. 

whiskey-tasting-cover_3

Whiskeys

Whiskeys are made from cereal grains, barley, corn, oats, rye, wheat, sorghum, millet and triticale. Both Scotch and Bourbon use yeast and water, but the principal distinction between the two spirits is their choice of grains.

whiskeytasting

Bourbon

Bourbon is made with at least 51% corn. Corn gives that sweetness whiskey drinkers seem to love or loath. The remaining 49% of the spirit can be made with whatever grains the distillery desires to use. Bourbon must be made in the United States and be aged in new oak charred casks. The spirit must be distilled to no more than 160 proof and barreled at 125 proof. Bourbon must be bottled at no less than 80 proof and cannot contain any added flavoring, coloring or other additives. Got it? Good.

Our Favorite Bourbon Cocktail: The Derby – it calls for bourbon, lime juice, sweet vermouth, and Grand Marnier. Simple and refreshing.

bigstock-barman-pouring-whiskey-behind--65910454

Scotch

Scotch is created with malted barley, to which other whole grains may be added. The most popular type is arguably Single Malt, which is made with 100% malted barley. Like Bourbon, no short-cuts or fermentation additives are allowed. Scotch must be aged in oak barrels for no less than three years and must have a ABV less than 94.8%. Most importantly, you cannot call your drink Scotch unless it was made in Scotland.

Our Favorite Scotch Cocktail: Rob Roy – essentially a Manhattan, but is exclusively made with Scotch of course and garnished with a lemon twist (if you’re ordering it perfect or dry).

banner_28_12_1

Our favorite 2018 whiskey events from coast to coast

Boston – Hop N Scotch
Philadelphia – Twisted Tail 
Washington, D.C. – Mon Ami Gabi

Chicago – Whiskey Business
Dallas – Nickel & Rye
Nashville – Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery

Los Angeles – Lost Property
Orange County – Bosscat
Phoenix – Second Story Liquor Bar 
Seattle – Westland Distillery  

Any more questions? Of course you do. So, why don’t you head on over to the whiskey tasting and let the real expert tell you more.

BROWSE EVENTS IN YOUR CITY

UNIQUE EVENT IDEAS. REAL-TIME BOOKING.

Join thousands of companies who have booked online events with Kapow.

Find Your Event

Like this post?

Sign up for insider tips, exclusive content and event suggestions in your city.

Read This Next

News

Virtual Event Options for Staying Connected with Clients: II

As face-to-face events continue to take a back seat, finding unique event alternatives for staying connected and engaged will continue to challenge even the savviest marketer. Since the health and safety of your teams and customers is of the utmost importance, we’ve been working diligently to bring you more virtual event options that are ideal…

News

Virtual Events For Staying Connected with Clients

Although staying indoors isn’t conducive to live events, there are virtual event alternatives that still promote team building and camaraderie from a distance. We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite virtual events below to help you get inspired. Ready to start planning? Check out our favorite virtual options.  Wildly Different – home office…

News

Thoughtful Events For International Women’s Day

International Women’s Day might be this coming Sunday, March 8th, but here at Kapow we believe there’s never a wrong time to celebrate the women in your organization. If you’re looking to host an event for the female-identifying members of your office, we’ve got a curated list of events that fit the bill perfectly. Focus…